Celebrated public astronomer Andrew Fraknoi takes us behind the scenes on Pluto’s demotion to “dwarf planet,” explaining why its story might still turn out OK. In July, the New Horizons spacecraft flew by the double planet Pluto-Charon and gave us superb close-up views of both worlds for the first time. Though New Horizons data will keep coming to us for a whole year, Fraknoi will give an update on what we now know about these icy worlds at the outskirts of our solar system.
- WHAT: Revenge of the Dwarf Planet: What Really Happened to Pluto
- WHO: Andrew Fraknoi, Chair of the Astronomy Department, Foothill College
- WHEN: Monday, October 26 — 6:30pm check-in, 7:00pm program
- WHERE: Cubberley Theater, 4000 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto
- HOW: In association with Commonwealth Club Silicon Valley.
- WHY: Because we’re curious creatures.
Follow these steps to secure tickets discounted by $8:
1) Click “Enter promotional code” at lower right.
2) Enter the promo code WONDERFEST, and click “Apply.”
3) Discounted item will appear. Choose number of tickets.
4) Click “Order Now” to begin payment procedure.
Wonderfest works every day to promote the scientific outlook. For as little as $1/month, why not become a Wonderfest Patron? As the Medici family were patrons of popular art in old Italy, you can become a patron of popular science and rationality in the modern Bay Area. (And you’ll get that tax-deduction that the Medici never did!) Please become a regular supporter of Wonderfest, and help enlarge the concept of scientific community.
If you shop at Amazon.com, why not shop at AmazonSmile? It doesn’t cost you a dime extra, selection and prices are the same, and a small percent supports Wonderfest and science!
Watch more videos: http://videos.wonderfest.org