Pain speaks as forcefully and as personally as any human experience. While the ability to experience pain is essential for survival, chronic pain is the scourge of sentient existence. As a topic of research, pain presents a formidable challenge for scientists. How does individual perception of pain vary? Why are some chronic pains so difficult to control? How effective are alternative and complementary methods, such as acupuncture and hypnosis, and how do they exert their pain-relieving effects?
- TITLE: Understanding Pain
- SPEAKER: Allan Basbaum, MD, Professor and Chair, Anatomy Department, UC San Francisco http://profiles.ucsf.edu/
- WHEN: Tuesday, 15 April, 2014, 7:00-8:00 PM; 6:30 check in
- WHERE: Hoover Theater, 1635 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95126 http://hoovertheatre.org
Google Map: http://goo.gl/maps/AmuiW
- HOW: Co-produced with the Commonwealth Club of Silicon Valley
- WHY: Because we’re curious creatures
- ADMISSION: $10 (with $5 ticket Wonderfest discount.)
1. Visit http://www.
2. Add General Admission Member tickets into basket (note that there is a limit of 2 tickets per transaction)
3. Proceed to the Check Out page and enter ticket & credit card information
4. For the Member ID enter: WONDERFEST (no service fees will be charged with this code)