Are you excited about the potential of stem cell research to provide cures for debilitating conditions like diabetes, spinal cord injury, macular degeneration, heart disease, and neurologic disorders? Perhaps you’ve noticed the enthusiasm, the caveats, and the controversy — and you want to understand what it all means, where the research stands today, where it’s heading, and how people suffering from problems like those mentioned might be helped. Uta Grieshammer and Kevin Whittlesey of the state’s stem cell agency, the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, will talk to us about why this area of medical research is so exciting to scientists and what we may see in terms of therapies in the future. This event is presented in partnership with Ask A Scientist.
- TITLE: The Promise of Stem Cells: Hope or Hype?
- SPEAKER: Uta Grieshammer and Kevin Whittlesey, Science Officers at the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine
- WHEN: 7:00 PM, Tuesday, June 4, 2013; but arrive early to explore our venue!
- WHERE: in the enclosed heart of SoMa StrEat Food Park, 428 11th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
- HOW: A production of Wonderfest and Ask a Scientist
- WHY: Because we’re curious creatures
- ADMISSION: FREE!
Please consider making a donation to Wonderfest to help us promote science. Even a modest gift will make more events like this possible.